Canadian Student Visa Application

Canada offers high quality researched based education which has gained world recognition. Yearly thousands of International students seek provisional admission into Canada’s prestigious universities. Multicultural integration and affordable tuition make it even more attractive to foreign students.

To be able to study in any academic institution, international student’s require Study Permit. If your study program is six months or less then you do not need a study permit.

Study Permit alone does not guarantee your entry into Canada, you will need a Temporary Resident Visa.

After the expiration of your visa, you are accorded 90 more days to prepare to leave Canada or apply for stay extension. If your visa expires before you finish your course, you can apply to extend your stay. The validity of your study permit ends 90 days after you have completed your studies

Study Permit avails you the opportunity to work part-time on campus and earn, but it does not count as work experience. You can also stay in Canada as a permanent resident or find work after you graduate.

If you wish to stay and work in Canada after graduation, you will have to apply for a post-graduation work permit.

Who Is Eligible

You are eligible to study in any Canadian institution if you satisfy the following conditions

  • Proof you have enough money to cater to your finances during your study period
  • Have no criminal record
  • Are in good health
  • Convince the immigration officer you will leave Canada after the expiration of your Visa.
  • You have a valid passport
  • You may need to provide biometric

Study Permit Fee

The fee for a study permit is $150 and the processing time varies by countries.

Applying For Study Permit

After satisfying the prerequisite requirement, you need to determine how you would apply, either online through the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website or on paper, if you are applying on paper, you will submit your application to the local Canadian Visa Application Center (CVAC).

You will be required to bring along these documents during the application process

  • Valid Passport
  • Acceptance letter from the institution you intend studying
  • Proof of finance
  • Passport size photograph
  • Statement of purpose
  • Medical clearance

Some foreigners are exempted from study permit, if you belong to these categories, you do not need a study permit , the categories include:

  • Family or staff of foreign representatives: If you are related to a foreign representative or a staff member then you don’t need a study permit.
  • Members of foreign armed forces: You do not need a study permit if you are a member of a foreign armed force in Canada, but your family will need a study permit if they wish to study in Canada
  • Short term studies: You do not need a study permit if the duration, of course, you enrolled for is less than six months.
  • Minors in Canada can study without a study permit until they reach the age of maturity (18 or 19 depending on the province), they will need a study permit if they wish to continue studying in Canada after they reach the age of maturity.



View all posts


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *